In the inaugural season of Student Reporting Labs (SRL)’s podcast On Our Minds, we collected the stories of teens across the country who grappled with various mental health challenges.
In the run up to season 2, we are looking for short, audio reflections from students about teen mental health. Submissions will be considered for new episodes of On Our Minds with Matt & Faiza.
STUDENT RAPID RESPONSE:
Your challenge is to produce a 3-5 minute AUDIO clip based on your OR a friend's personal experience with mental health.
- INTERVIEW ANOTHER STUDENT*
- SHARE YOUR OWN PERSPECTIVE
HOW TO RECORD:
- Find a quiet location at home or school.
- Use your phone or computer’s recorder app to record AUDIO ONLY:
- Voice Memo app (iPhone/Mac)
- Quicktime (Mac)
- Recorder app (Android)
- Sound Recorder app (PC)
- Keep your phone (or computer) about 12 inches away from your mouth.
- Use the following questions as a guide. Answer in complete sentences rephrasing the question in the answer (see suggestions below).
- Listen back to your recording to check audio quality.
- Use this SUBMISSION FORM to submit your audio file. Select “RAPID RESPONSE: MENTAL HEALTH” under prompt name.
- Sign our media release if you or your subject are under 18.
If you interview a friend or peer, be sure to ask PERMISSION to record their story. Share WHY you are collecting their story and HOW it will be used. Make sure they sign the media release form and get parent/guardian consent. If they are anonymous, please email Briget@ReportingLabs.org.
Record extra natural sounds that might give your story more visuals for the listener. Consider recording footsteps, locker closing, bell ringing (if you're at school). If the subject talks about sports, consider including sounds that evoke the sport.]
Go HERE to see interview questions to consider.