Warm Up Activity
General Ethics: Prior to the main activity, students should have a good knowledge and understanding of ethics.
Estimated time: 10 min.
Use a KWL activity to help students express their preexisting knowledge of ethics and express any misunderstandings.
- First, model a KWL chart, which shows one thing you (the teacher) know (“k”) about ethics, and one thing you want to know (“w”).
- Next, have students fill out the “k” and “w” parts of their own worksheet
- Then, choose and play one of these videos about ethics
- Simple explanation of ethics
- Another more simple explanation of ethics
- Advanced explanation of ethics
- Afterward, have students fill out what they learned in the third column of the KWL worksheet. Students should be able to add at least one point to each column after watching the video
To reinforce what students learned after watching the video, ask students again (as a group or in small groups) “What are ethics?” and then follow up by asking, “How can you tell if someone is being ethical?” Write student answers on the board.
Optional follow-up discussion: Consider the word TRUST. What comes to mind when you hear this word?