StoryMaker is a powerful learning platform developed by PBS NewsHour Student Reporting Labs to build the next generation of media creators. The development of this Platform is being funded in part by the National Science Foundation as a research project. Additional research partners include Knology and TERC who are studying interactions between educators as peer groups and how forming communities of educators can best serve each other. As part of this study, we will be recording and collecting all anonymized digital activity—including each click a user makes within the Platform, downloads and navigation through the menu of offline materials, and at what point an educator decides to contact another educator through the directory.
In order to access specific areas of the StoryMaker Platform, educators will need to register on or log onto the Platform. By registering for or logging onto the Platform, you agree to be a participant in this study, subject to the following terms:
- Interactions with the Platform along with downloads and navigation through the menu of offline materials will be digitally recorded.
- No personally identifying information will be stored with the data.
- IP addresses will be viewed by the software during the registration process, but IP addresses will not be stored on the StoryMaker platform. IP addresses will not be viewable by researchers.
- Some participants may be asked to take part in surveys. You can always opt-out of these surveys.
- All research data will be stored as digital files that will be accessible only to the researchers. These files will contain no personally identifying information.
- The results of the research may be published in academic journals, presented at conferences, posted on websites, used to inform the future development, and otherwise shared.
- Participating in the research study is not any riskier than being in online environments in general. The results of the research will help us build better learning materials and systems.
- You may stop using the website and thus stop having your site usage data recorded at any time.
- If you choose not to register on [or log onto] the Platform, you will still be able to access the educational resource materials, but you will not be able to access the educator directory to interact with other educators and you will not be able to create student submission links to share student work.
PBS NewsHour Student Reporting Labs
3939 Campbell Place
Arlington, Virginia 22206
Research-specific questions should be directed to John Voiklis, JohnV@knology.org